Established in 1986 and operating out of offices in Central London and Manchester, OJK Ltd specialises in providing accountancy services to clients within the Music, Sports, Broadcast, Literary and Social Media industries.
Our tax department can assist you in meeting all HM Revenue and Customs imposed obligations on you and your business to file tax returns. We can save you a lot of time, worry, and money by handling your self assessment for you. We can do all the necessary tax computations, complete your tax returns, and offer advice on how you can minimise your tax liability.
We can act as your agent, dealing directly with the HMRC on your behalf through correspondence or representing you at any meetings with HMRC. We can give you advice and support throughout any form of HMRC enquiry and provide you with insurance to cover the professional costs of dealing with any such enquiry.
We can administer your payroll, providing your staff with payslips, calculate PAYE, national insurance, statutory sick pay, statutory maternity pay, completion of statutory forms, including year end returns, to issue to your employees and submit to the HMRC.
Importantly we can offer advice on the more complex issues of taxation. We can provide you with tax planning advice on Income tax, corporation tax, capital gains tax, Inheritance tax, trusts and estates, stamp duty land tax, non-domiciliary and offshore tax issues and VAT.
We can also offer you advice on international tax issues having established a network of working relationships with similar practices in various territories around the world. We can advise and assist you in meeting any reporting and filing requirements in other jurisdictions.
We cover all aspects of accountancy for our clients ensuring compliance with all legislation. Our involvement in our clients’ businesses ranges from dealing with all day to day accounting matters to the compilation and filing of accounts. Our flexibility allows us to support clients in all areas, no matter what stage the business is in development or the individual is in terms of their career.
- Working alongside both lawyers and management, ensuring the appropriate business structures are put in place for recording and publishing.
- Aiding with the maintenance, preparation and finalisation of all accounting and tax records to ensure full compliance as required.
- Liaising with booking agents, overseas promoters and tour management and advising upon the structure of tour performance contracts, from a commercial and taxation point of view.
- Advising upon overseas withholding tax issues for both UK and non UK artists.
- Taking the necessary steps with the Inland Revenue to mitigate UK taxes on UK performance with the Foreign Entertainers Unit (FEU) of HM Revenue and Customs on behalf of overseas artists.
- Assisting in the preparation of tour budgets as and when required, along with the preparation of final tour accounts, in order to secure tour support from record labels.
- Advising and processing registration with all collection societies, for both recording and publishing.
- Dealing with all major record and publishing labels, lawyers, booking agents, production companies and neighbouring rights agents, allowing us to be able to advise extensively in all matters commercial and financial.
Working closely with agents on the following:
- Reviewing and advising on business structure
- Reviewing contracts from both a commercial and a tax perspective
- Providing support and information to ensure the timely collection of monies due
- Ensuring compliance with regard to National Insurance, IR 35, PAYE and VAT regulations
- Provision of cash flow forecasts, cash reports together with accounts preparation, VAT returns, tax returns and all other compliance matters that one would expect from a firm of accountants.
- Assisting in securing finance for both business and personal requirements.
TV, Media, Advertising and Branding
In terms of our corporate clients, we can provide a full financial service in relation to the day to day accounting or provide support to internal financial teams in the compilation and submission of annual accounts and returns.
- We advise on the appropriate accounting systems and aid with their implementation to enable the production of financial reports on a project by project basis.
- Analyse results and reviewing variances with directors.
- Preparation of reports on an adhoc basis to assist fundraising or to fulfil contractual obligations.
In terms of our non-corporate clients, we can aid with the preparation of financial statements, tax returns, vat returns and payroll in compliance with industry regulations and national legislation. We can provide advice on structuring your business to mitigate taxes in tandem with your personal circumstances. We are qualified and experienced to advice on all financial matters, business or otherwise.
Our royalty department carries out examinations of record companies and music publishers and provide full reports. They also perform catalogue valuations, prepare producer and other third party royalty statements, check incoming artist’s royalty statements, offer a full music industry registration service with PPL and the various international collecting societies and register writers and songs with PRS and MCPS.
Additionally they provide a comprehensive label service including preparation of artist royalty statements, AP1 submissions to MCPS, maintain copyright control accounts, arrange mechanical licences with the Harry Fox Agency and submit USA mechanical payments. This fully experienced royalty team also provide managerial and contractual advice to clients, assisting with contract negotiations and other related artist career matters.
Pat set up O J Kilkenny & Co (now OJK) in London in 1986 having worked for the company in Dublin for many years. Over 25 years of a proven track record, Pat works with some of the best known artists/entertainers in the music business and his straightforward, no nonsense style is highly respected throughout the industry. Considered to be extremely capable and highly experienced in liaising with managers and lawyers in negotiating recording and publishing deals, capital raising etc, Pat continues to have a steady flow of referrals for new business which is testament to his reliability, consistency and a reputation to deliver.
An experienced business leader, Andy has extensive experience in enhancing profitability by designing and executing business strategy, being particularly familiar with managing profit and loss. With a history of building workable consensus through influence and negotiation, he has worked with a wide range of stakeholders to design and deliver a broad range of successful business improvements and change projects.
Priding himself on developing strategy and bringing it to life, Managing Director Andy has a leadership background in law that spans across a number of different jurisdictions, including the US. Regarded as an innovator and business leader, he will continue to use his experience and knowledge to help shape upcoming ideas and ambitions.
Andrew is a member of the Chartered Institute of Taxation and has over thirty years professional experience having qualified with Ernst & Young. He has dealt with the tax affairs of both UK and international entertainers and sportsmen for over 20 years.
Julie joined what was then OJ Kilkenny & Co in 1997, starting out as a newly qualified junior accountant, quickly rising to senior accountant and then in recent years, a director of OJK Ltd. Julie has developed extensive knowledge of all aspects of the music and entertainment industry during her time with OJK Ltd, working with artists throughout the various steps of their careers, in particular dealing with their live performance activities both in the UK and Europe and the Rest of the World.
Niall joined OJ Kilkenny & Co in 1998. He has over 20 years tax experience dealing predominately with clients in the music, entertainment and sports industries . He is a member of the Chartered Institute of Taxation.
Simon completed his accountancy qualifications at Baker Tilly and joined OJK in 1998 along with Niall Longworth and Bob Shafto bringing a number of clients with them. Having obtained experience in all areas of the music and entertainment industry Simon has worked with recording artists, management companies, record labels as well as businesses providing an increasingly wide range of music-related services as the opportunity to diversify increases. Now a director at OJK with a portfolio of clients weighted towards corporate entities Simon often works closely with company directors to review their accounts, budgeting, financial planning, trading structures and business evaluations.
Steven is a qualified member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants. He has a comprehensive knowledge of all financial aspects of the Entertainment, Music and Media industries. His current clients include Musicians, Actors, Comedians, Production, Record and Publishing companies, Management companies, Producers and Composers.
19 Portland Place
19 York Street
Tel: + 44 (0) 20 3205 0100
Fax: + 44 (0)20 7792 1722
Tel: + 44 (0)161 300 6000
Fax: + 44(0)161 237 5163
James Grant Group Ltd
180 Great Portland Street